San Francisco City walks on Labor Day weekend


I had to spend 2 whole days on the Labor Day weekend for my son’s chess tournament, so naturally I had quite a bit of time to kill. Normally during his tournaments, I work on my laptop, watch chess games, watch movies, and talk to other parents. This time I decided that I would take a walking tour of the city I love so much. The first day,  was a typical San Francisco day, cold and cloudy with temperatures in low 60s. When the first game started, I decided to start my walk from Van Ness and California St. crossing to Coit Tower via Lombard and Crooked Street. It was fun, since this was the first time I was not visiting either places as a tourist. Watching other tourists was quite amusing. Since an hour had already passed by the time I strolled to Coit tower, I took a 2 minute break and then started my journey back to the tournament hall. Overall, it was a little over 5 miles based on my NewYu. I made it back just in time to wish my son luck in his second game.

In the afternoon I decided to go down on Van Ness towards the bay. Van Ness Avenue ends in long curvy pier that opens up into the bay. I walked to the Pier Circle and then decided to go on a little hill around Fort Mason. My path  was via Fort Mason Green. I spent some time on the Marina and decided to come back to the tournament hall (Holiday Inn) via Laguna Street to California. This round trip was around 4.3 miles.





The next day the sun came out from behind the clouds. I decided to walk towards the Bay Bridge. Hence, I took California St. east towards the Justin Herman Plaza. On this part of the street I saw some awesome architecture, starting with Grace Cathedral, and on to the Nob Hill Masonic Center, The Fairmont hotel, and some other buildings. Then I went through China town to the financial district, eventually reaching the Ferry Plaza. I spent some time at the plaza and decided to return on the same way back. This walk was around 5.7 miles. In all I had a pleasant long weekend with my NewYu logging over 15 miles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mt. Diablo State Park

Windy Hill Open Space Reserve

Lake Ilsanjo, Annadel State Park