Saratoga Gap Open Space Reserve



Hike Date: 11/13/11

Today I decided to hike in Saratoga Open Space Reserve. It is located at the intersection of scenic Skyline Boulevard (SR 35) and highway 9.  I reached there by taking Route 9 from Saratoga Avenue off highway 85. There is a free parking at the trailhead with approximately 20 cars capacity. It was a nice and clear day with temperatures in 50s. 

I started on Saratoga gap trail. The trailhead is at 2730 feet elevation. Initial part of the trail goes on side of the Skyline Blvd. You can hear the traffic noise drift from the highway. Most of the trail is shaded with tall trees.  After walking for 1.7 miles you come to an intersection where Charcoal Road, Table Mountain trail and Saratoga Gap trail. I took the Table Mountain trail, which descends more than 1100 feet over 2.7 miles winding trail. On the way you cross multiple water streams. This part of the trail is in Steven’s Creek County Park. Elevation at the Table Mountain stands at 1730 feet. Last half mile of the trail opens up with only tall bushes on the sides of the trail. After walking downhill, you meet another intersection of Charcoal Road, Upper Steven’s Creek trail. I took the Charcoal Road loop for 0.7 miles. I had my first snack break, before starting my uphill on the Charcoal road. After hiking up for 1.7 miles I came to the same intersection at the trailhead of Table Mountain trail.



I continued on the Saratoga Gap Trail for next 0.3 miles till it crosses Highway 9. After crossing the highway 9, I took Achistaca Trail. This trail gives you grand view of the beautiful skyline, with dense forest on one side and nice lush green grass on the way. After walking another quarter mile or so, the trail again is covered with tall trees. This trail passes on the backside of Saratoga Summit Fire Station. After 1.7 miles, it meets Skyline Sea trail. I continued on Skyline Sea Trail and then did 2 small excavation trails including Nutmeg Trail and Red Mountain Trail. After that I crossed the Highway 9 and Saratoga Toll Road Trail that connects to the starting point near the parking lot. On the way, a mountain lion came on the trail around 80 meters ahead of me. The moment he saw me, he ran back. I was little cautious for next quarter mile, and was walking making loud shouts.
Then I came to a point where there is car, which had accident in 1996. The Tree has grown over it. In next 5 minutes, I came back to the parking lot. According to my NewYu, I walked around 11.3 miles with 2200 feet elevation change.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mt. Diablo State Park

Windy Hill Open Space Reserve

Lake Ilsanjo, Annadel State Park